PLANNING AHEAD...

In my day job I do a lot of planning. In fact the school holiday program that runs for two weeks in January was planned four months ago. And we are just about to plan for the Easter school holidays.

In so many ways, it is difficult to plan so far ahead. Once chosen, these programs are locked in. They are in booklets and flyers and are advertised. Not to be changed.

We have no idea if a new theme or program will work until it has been tried and tested. Just because it works in another library, doesn't mean it will work in ours. Different space, different people, different reactions.



And when we trial a new program, which we are next year, as well as new days and times for programs, it is a step into the unknown. Will they work? How long before we know? When can we tweak? When it comes to a lot of the programs, we have to give them a year. And of course during that year we are planning for the next year's programming.


It is a continuous circle of planning months, or even years, ahead.

We plan concepts and themes, as well as programs.  There is no NOW.

With all this planning in my 'real' job, it's no wonder when it comes to planning my writing for the year I'm often floundering. I sometimes simply want to 'go with the flow' and see where I end up.

Which could be like the past few months with no writing (except for work based ) done at all.


We all need time to let life take over. When there is too much going on, we need to step back. Remember how to breathe. Also as my friend Miss J is learning, how to say no.  If that means doing nothing, or very little, then that's okay.

However with the month of December as a dead end for writing I have found a narrative poem lingering. It began as phrases swirling, then a few random visuals early one morning when sleep evaded. I've begun to jot it down. In the snippets that it is offering itself. I have no idea, where, if anywhere it will go, but it wants to be written. I'm obliging.


I feel divided. Having to be mega organised and planned for part of my life, a yearning for free form for the other half. With a compromise to be met half way.

Even when I decide to give myself time to do nothing---things happen. Ideas come, plans (yes plans) are slowly forged. There are already a few things happening in 2020 that require foresight and planning.

Perhaps, I can't get away with it at all. Maybe I have to accept that planning is needed.


Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....