THE WORLD OF DISTRACTIONS...

Second week of Vicki the Lefty (as in learning to do most things with the left hand). I'm finding I can do more and more with the old dependable right hand, to a limited degree...but alas longer than five minutes on the keyboard or using the mouse and it aches. So we are limited to a lot of left handed sloooooowwwwwww typing, the mouse clumsily used on the left which has translated to a few poems being attempted, but that is it.

So what have I done?

Hello the wormhole of Netflix. We won't go there.

I've also done some clumsy left handed gardening.


Although I have a lot of ideas..especially when I'm able to really dig and lift heavy things.

I have ordered some plants...


Nothing like lounge room gardening.

I have spent time with this little fellow.


And his mum of course.

I have actually been listening to some podcasts that have been recommended to me over the years.

From Stuff You Should Know - with Josh and Chuck ( I can only do very small bursts of these guys, they do tend to grate after a while...must just be me as they are so popular)...to You Must Remember This  ( thanks to my daughter Loz) which looks at old Hollywood. The crimes and the passions, the mysteries and the secrets.

I have also found my way to some writing podcasts...More than a Whelan  by Sean M Whelan who has some interesting guests including Alicia Sometimes. I've also discovered (thanks to my squirrel buddy Jenni) So You Want To Be A Writer  by the Australian Writer's Centre.

Now the trouble I have with podcasts, when listening at home, is that I tend to do other things while listening. I set them up and then begin to potter. Twenty minutes later I realise I have no idea what they are talking about as I have been totally distracted. I know it would be ideal to listen to them in the car, but at the moment I'm doing little driving and I tend to listen to audio books. (And they have to be crime so to keep my attention)

But my BIG secret  weakness has been a youtube channel. Oh look at how your minds are darting everywhere....this is a gardening one.

I have been addicted to Garden Answer. Laura (her hubby, new baby and her gardening helper cat) live in the US..but I just adore her garden. Her garden tours are amazing. And even though my growing area and climate is so different to hers (you should see the snow they get at times!) I just love her garden style.

So I really don't want to think how many hours I have spent watching tours of her garden throughout the years.  I sit at my desk and look out onto the deck and it's assorted crap  pots and plants and know it needs work.


But everything has inspired, pointed me in directions I would like to go. I have an idea for a garden bed, how to rejig and joosh it up. I have time to ponder on my dystopian children/ YA novel and know I really don't know what I'm doing with it.

So while this enforced 'Vicki take it easy' has been so hard in some ways, it has forced me to stop and smell the roses.

Well pick the daffodils at least.



Sometimes we all need that. Whether by choice or not.

Vicki 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....