SNAKES AND LADDERS OF WRITING...

Yep, this writing business is a definite case of snakes and ladders. A few good throws and you move forward, then you land on the slippery snake that takes you backwards.

Take a 'normal' - I will use that word lightly- writing day for me.

So I settle myself at the computer (which so many days is a miracle in itself) ...but what's this? The sun is shining. And there is a load of washing to do...


So I put a load of washing on. As I wander past the kitchen, notice the crumbs from this morning's breakfast. Time to give the bench a quick wipe down...which turns into having another slice of toast (let's face it, the marmalade is really very good). Which of course means more wiping down of bench.

But finally settle myself down at the keyboard when there is the beep beep indicating the washing machine has finished. Time to hang out a basket of washing, and put on a second load.

Serious business. Back at the computer, and I begin. Words are tripping lightly...and there is that one phrase that sparkles.

Filled with excitement I want to share...


Alas she is not impressed but a cuddle or two later (and one game of chase the sock...why is there a random sock in the lounge room? Who knows! ) and I'm back at the computer.

Another a few hundred words when the beep beep sounds again. I head out to hang a second load of washing. In the back yard I pause...hesitate. It is such a glorious day and my head is filled with gardens I have seen and what I dream of doing here, in our garden.



I wander the back yard, notice what is out in flower, what the bees are loving. Admire the small row of beans that are slowly breaking the surface. Smile encouragingly at the strawberries beginning to form.

NO...I force myself inside. But it's that time of day...


Coffee is made, and I sit and drink. Rustle through a magazine (or two). Hang out a third load of washing then with fierce determination I sit at the keyboard once again.

I tap away. Words are put down, not necessarily good words, some are perfect drivel but they are keeping the story going forward. I type on and on. Stop for a brief lunch, but while eating my sandwich I realise a major flaw. Back at the computer I delete entire paragraphs.

In a negative mood I decide to check my emails. Just check. I will answer anything vital but leave the others till later.

One hour later, and I have discovered some old family photos.


They have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with what I am writing, but the distraction has taken hold.

Get back to it I tell myself, force myself to remove the emails. From the corner of my eye I see Facebook calling, surely a moment or two there won't hurt?

Another hour speeds past as I'm lost in memories and events.




Oohing and aahing over friend's travel snaps... someone's wedding. A birthday party.

Back to it I insist. I sit and write. Slowly it comes together. This mornings deletion has cleared the scene. Allowed the characters to take central stage. I write on...slowly but surely.

But what's that? One of the pots on the front deck has caught my eye. I wander out.


I marvel at the joys of nature, then notice the day is drawing to an end. I remember the washing, head out and bring it all in. Fold and put it away. 

Make myself another cuppa as I plan our evening meal. Finally I sit back at the computer. And there it is. 365 words. Some of which will be sent their marching orders in the cold light of another day.

But here it is in all it's glory. My writing day. And this is what I have to show for it!

I head to the kitchen, begin to make a lasagne. And wonder if perhaps next week will be more productive.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....