EAGER TO LEARN...

There are a lot of quotes out there about learning but this one resonates with me.


I do like to learn new things. Doesn't matter if it's a new system at work, new craft or a new technique for writing. I like to try new things, see if they work for me. Over the years I've attempted a lot of tricks and techniques from writers, famous and not so famous, to see if they would spur me on to great copious bursts of creativity.  I'm still trying to find the right one for me.

However recently Lovely Daughter and I ventured on a cake decorating course.


For me this was very intimidating. Now Lovely Daughter is a great baker and creates the most amazing cakes. Her decorating skills are some that I am in awe of. However I was there to learn.

Even though the majority, hell EVERYONE in the class makes cakes for weddings and engagements, 21sts and anniversaries. You name a huge celebration, and these women were making cakes for it. One lovely young one had won last year's Melbourne Show - novice division!



So of course I set off with great trepidation  anxiety belief in my abilities. NOT. Yet I went eager to learn.  Perhaps years of crafts in one form or another helped me to a certain extent as my flowers...when finished did resemble frangipani.



From there we ventured to the more difficult rose. 



They were not the best but did...after much work...end up looking like their name sakes.



We then went on separate learning curves. Lovely Daughter took on cosmos and they looked AMAZING. 
I attempted daisies. (Do you know how many bloody petals each daisy has? Way too many) 

For my last lesson I wanted something simple and quick I could whip up at home (if ever brave enough to attempt)...so these little sweeties were created.




I learnt a lot over those 9 lessons. I learnt the basics of making decorative flowers..the art of patience as everything has to set and dry before colouring or the next step. I learnt which flowers I would use on a cake ---I'm a very very basic decorator.

Lovely Daughter and I both decided that a cake that looks lovely is all well and good, but it has to taste delicious as well. 

Something that is all decoration yet has no substance is a waste. There has to be something worthwhile beneath. 

Will I ever use these skills again? I think I will, in various styles. I did make my first fondant pieces for our RSPCA cupcake day...


Which I never would have attempted without starting this course (and huge support and encouragement from Lovely Daughter)

I don't think it matters what we learn. Some we will use. Some we will never do again. We will give some things a good go, others we'll just accept the fact that it wasn't for us.

Like those tricks and tips from authors.

I have set up a time table to write - I ignore it.

I use a timer. I keep waiting for it to sound so I can finish.

I make lists. I cross off a few items and leave the writing ones there.

I ban facebook and emails until I accomplish my writing for the day. I head to the garden.

I decide to write first thing in the morning. I can't function.

I decide to write into the night. I fall asleep on my keyboard.

As I said, I'm simply waiting for the right one for me.

Until then I'll keep reading and learning. Taking on ideas and concepts. I'll try new things. (You should have seen my attempt at Scrivener!)

Not everything will work but isn't that the fun of trying and learning new things. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....