MY WRITING DAY...

I always love to see how writers--or actually 'writers' - spend their day. I'm amazed at those that get up in the wee hours before work and calmly put down a few thousand words. Or those that send the kids off to school then settle down in their office and write six chapters.

My designated writing day, which is a Wednesday, goes a lot like this...

I sleep in. No alarm set (unless I've booked something exciting like doctor, car service, hair cut etc) and wake up about 7.30. Today thanks to small purring creature it was about 7.10. Leisurely breakfast is had. Then I pop onto the computer. Alas no writing yet, I check emails and the old reliable face book.  Three quarters of an hour later I'm ready to get dressed.

Then--- I hang out the washing. Get distracted by furry child.....


 Then of course, I'm ready...to head to the shops. I had to you see, there is this handbag I've been thinking about. You know how it is, that insistent niggle of 'If you don't buy me someone else will.' And of course the only one left was in the window so EVERYONE could see her and want her. I HAD to go and get her...didn't I?

By the time I return, with purchase (and several other MUST HAVES) it is nearly 11am.  No need to panic...the morning isn't over yet.

I then hang out the washing. Well it is just sitting there...wet...damp...waiting to be drying.

Wednesday of course is blog day, so with an idea of what I want to write about, I hunt on my computer for photos.

Half an hour gone.

Then I check my email because it COULD be vitally important.  (Garden web site is having a sale, see vitally important!)

I blog- sometimes quickly in a blargh of words. Other times very slowly and carefully thought out. (this is not one of those times).

I then send it out to the ether.

Then message a friend for a catch up cuppa-  hopefully next week.

It is now lunch time. So lunch it is.  And an episode of Vikings to keep me company.

Unfortunately I'm distracted yet again...

I've been doing some knitting for charity and you can't finish half way through a bootie or hat. I'm sure there is a law against it. One bootie later I'm ready to write.

I settle at the computer...and...


can I live with this? Well truthfully I can because I have done so for xxxx amount of years BUT today I feel the urge to tidy. So I tidy. Only this part because I do have to write. This is my writing day after all.

I have been working on putting down a poem a day for this month so I promptly set out

DAY 27 - catchy title isn't it---and wait for inspiration.

Nothing.

Then I think about tomorrow's Storytime. Unicorns- really? ----how many songs about unicorns do I know?

Forty minutes later, and after not buying the cutest t-shirt,  I have two rhymes and one that I can 'creatively' manipulate so that the word unicorn is in it somewhere.


I try to avoid looking in this direction (especially after knowing I can happily live with this mess ----um with this chaos.... with this creativity.) I stare at the computer yet again with

DAY 27 - staring smugly back at me.

There is a noise outside the window. The wrens and silvereyes are back. I spend the next ten minutes watching their antics as they flit from tree frond to branch then back again. I'm not the only one interested and another five minutes is spent playing  teaching George that she doesn't really want to be outside.

By now it is 3pm (where has the day gone!) This week is a green waste rubbish collection week. I head off to take the green bin full of weeding down. On the way I cut back and snip bits of tangled greenery daring to come across the driveway. I admire the autumn leaves littering the yard, the toadstools and fungi that have popped up, the buds on the daphne.

Oh look, 3.30 afternoon tea time. I make a cuppa, put my feet up and watch another episode of Vikings. And knit. As for the above statement, I have to FINISH the second bootie before going back to the computer.

I settle yet again.

Check my emails. Answer some.

Check face book. Get caught in a spiral of insanity when I venture forth on one link, which leads me to another, then to another...then to another.

4.30. Time to bring the washing in. It is now autumn and clothes stay dry until the chill night damp hits. This is a necessary folks! Out in the backyard I wander and sample a few autumn raspberries, check on the oranges and pomegranates, the last of the dahlias. I then head inside, fold and sort clothes.

But refuse to put them away- after all I HAVE TO WRITE.

Back at the computer my fingers twitch with the need to write. Quick glance at the time, OMG I have plans for a roast tonight. Quick into the kitchen, put the lamb on. Prepare vegetables then back to computer.

Ignore distraction on the bed...well attempt to ignore. Time spent playing  bonding is good.


Quickly write a poem - this one loosely based on a woman with no discipline. Yes one poem done.
Head back to kitchen, put on vegetables.

Back to computer, check emails. Check face book.
Open up the file with the children's novel I'm working on...scroll to last page. Glance through. Add a line. Phone rings. Hubby on the way home.

Time to put together the roast. Hubby and I eat. Watch the news. Settle down for a chat. Out comes the knitting...I begin a hat...you know I CAN'T stop until it is finished.

Glance at the clock, when the hell did it become 10 pm? Yawn. Quick check of face book before the end of the day. Turn off computer. Ready for bed, set alarm for tomorrow, a working day after all. Read a book until sleep overcomes me. Sleep.


Yes I know....perhaps I need a path to follow.

Or at least someone with a big stick to whack me every time I do something else.

Or better yet---don't worry about it and know that I'll get there in the end.



 Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....