LESSONS LEARNED....

I like to treat myself each year, whether to a writing workshop or author talk. Something that gets me thinking, pushes my boundaries and most importantly gets me writing again. The past few months I have been doing the Victorian Writer's Advanced Short Story Clinic with Laurie Steed.

Each month we submit a short story, all participants are encouraged to offer feedback, then a week later we receive not only our fellow writers critique but Laurie's as well.  So many readers offering opinions...so many voices....so many styles and genres and points of view. It has been good fun, inspirational and inspiring.

I had hoped to write a new short story each month- so a total of five, a good start for the year. I have fallen short, written 3 and rejigged and worked on 2 older stories.  Although on saying that I have scribbled down a few paragraphs of- hopefully- another story. So even if I haven't met my own criteria for the clinic, it has given me that push to start some new work.


This is the last week, although there is another course for the second half of the year, but with life doing its best to throw some obstacles, don't think I'll take it up.

What have I learnt?

Firstly that there are some damned good short story writers out there...names that I know will soon be well known. Secondly there are so many different voices and styles and ways of writing that it is stupid to ever think 'this is the way to write a short story'.

The quality of writing in this clinic has been excellent..all publishable...all with 'definite' stories to tell, not simply an idea.

It has also been interesting to see those writers that chose to work on one story for a few months. Watch the development. The way it tightens up, becomes clearer and therefore so much stronger. Also the way ideas become narrowed down---till the focus is exactly where it should be. These are short stories for a reason, not a novel...so becoming succinct and precise is often what is needed.

I've also learnt that I have a few pet words and phrases...definite pet themes...or perhaps recurring themes. My style can vary, I hope so anyway, but my voice is usually pretty strong.

It's also been good to know when to 'unpack' as Laurie likes to say. When I have a clear image in my head but have failed to put it down on paper so the reader gets it. So I am learning to unpack- to expand- to describe in more detail, even if only an extra word or two to give more depth.

I've also come to understand why exactly I write. I'll be vain enough to say that I like to be published, that getting my work out there is a great buzz (especially when someone reads it and comments). But I write mostly, because I want to understand the world better. I want to see how it works, why it works, or why it doesn't. I am a people watcher and they just intrigue me- so trying to figure out why such and such is doing that, or why would A want to leave B, or why on earth would HE do that?


I've also come to the understanding that I don't write as bravely as I could. That there is a huge cloud of fear hanging above me (obviously friends with the editor that sits on my shoulder insisting all that I do is pure crap).  I'm afraid it's not good enough, that I'm wasting my time, that life is too short to have stupid dreams.

However....understanding a fear is the first step I'm sure. Facing it is next...and hopefully in time I'll be able to embrace it for what it is, and allow it to empower my writing.

Onwards and upwards

Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....