FITTING ALL THE PIECES....

In a spurt of nostalgic boredom I began a jigsaw I found in my son's room. It brought to mind all those years helping Mum do one, or even later on my sister and her family. Now this was a jigsaw never attempted. Pristine in its box.

I commandeered the dining table and set forth. Not with gusto I must admit but with a small smile and an even smaller hope that it would be finished.


I won't even tell you how long it took just to do the outside edge- seemingly easy you may think. Not at all...but slowly, slowly, ever so slowly it began to come together.


The parts that were quite easy to identify were the first to emerge. The edges as you can see are still not together.


Few more weeks, yes weeks, and we were up to this stage. It's something I do when I'm walking past, perhaps cooking tea in the kitchen and just wander in and see if something fits...somewhere.


After nearly a month this was all I had....not much at all.

Unfortunately there is a strong link to how I write. I get excited at the idea, I begin quite happily and put things down in a spurt of inspiration. Often it has no edges, no set boundaries, no lines to stay within. In fact I'd be surprised if most times I know what it is meant to look like when finished. I have no set goal in mind. I'm in the enjoyable stage....getting it down.

And then I will 'work' on it. Most times this is a very laid back and I will admit lazy form of 'working'. I read it, re-read it...add some words, remove others, I do a bit of editing, a bit of rewriting.

Yet it's not finished by a long shot. That final polishing and reworking I tend to ignore. It's unfinished....still with no clear picture in mind.


At this stage there will be an outside edge, a vague image has formed but there are still so many gaps. So many areas that need clarity. And that's usually----nine times out ten- is where I leave it.

And of course there are so many pieces leftover....at least they are in their shades but really.....where do they all go?

I hope this jigsaw will be finished but don't bet on it. As I said, unfortunately I like the first flush of excitement and inspiration- it's the hard slog that I tend to avoid.

Perhaps this will urge me on. Make me work and work on my writing....hone and polish until I do have things worthy to be sent out. But then again I have a rose bush to move.....a garden bed to weed....some clothes to wash.......a cup of coffee waiting for me.....

Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....