FINISHING UP....

It's that time of year when everything begins to finish up before the hectic chaos of Christmas.

For me last week was the final Tinies Time and Storytimes for the year. As usual it was a happy / sad moment. Happy because we do need that break....the children and their parents need a break from me ....and for me it's a chance to get all the other library work done that doesn't involve singing Galumph went the little Green Frog one day.....

So much 'out-of-sight' work such as cleaning up and planning for next year...stock work and ordering....mending and repairs...re-discovering my desk under it's habitual piles of 'my kids would LOVE those books'. And coming up with new ideas for programs and school holidays- anything to help make the library more fun.

It was also sad because I may not see some of these kids again. Very true for my Storytime group- they grow up, move on- so many are heading for school next year. Which is fantastic and natural, and you do wonder how they'll go. (It's great when they pop in to tell you all about this exciting new venture in their lives).



And of course it's the finishing up for the writing groups and the regular poetry events I go to.

Thursday was the final Poetry at Christmas Hills for the year. I do enjoy this event, although it is a trek straight after work.

My journey begins with some roads like this ....



as I cut across small townlets heading up to Yarra Glen.

Winding roads, country views....

then I find myself here...


and I head up into the hills.

Finally, an hour and ten minutes after leaving work, I arrive here.


But it has always been worth the journey.

Sandy runs a great gig...not only because of the eclectic mix of open stage (there has been singing and ukelele playing....hand stands and jokes.....even a group arrangement of violin, keyboard, bassoon and harp)...but because of the features she chooses.

She gives poets and writers that are not your usual big-named features a chance to showcase their work. A lot are local...from Healesville,  Yarra Glen and surrounds.  And for a lot of poets this has been their first major reading.

It gives the audience a chance to hear a good variety of their work. Gives the poet a chance to put their work into some semblance of order. It is often interesting to see a theme or ribbon of perspective that runs through a poet's work. 


It is always an enjoyable night...definitely worth the trek across hill and dale.

So another year of Christmas Hill antics comes to a close (whatever you do, do not ever say antyhing negative about Sandy's music stand) ....and frankly I can't wait to see what offerings she has for us for 2015.



Maybe see you there...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....