PHYSICAL DESCRIPTIONS...

I've been thinking a lot lately about my writing...in particular my India travel piece. Of course that is what I hoped would happen after attending the travel writing master class with Claire Scobie....which is all good.

Although one comment she made relates to making your book not merely a travel diary.

So no- It's Tuesday morning, hot, bit breezy and today I travelled from A to B...there was a slight hiccup at C due to the train being late but it was quite a nice journey.

She does suggest using physical descriptions of the people you meet on your way.



Now I don't tend to describe my characters. There may be an allusion to an age or ethnicity...sometimes a mention of hair colour but Claire wants more.

Bring these characters to life so the reader can meet them as well as go on the journey with you.

I do so admire Raymond Chandler for his descriptions....

'From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.'
Raymond Chandler, The High Window 


Even when he's not really giving a physical fact by fact description- you can clearly see the person he describes.

'She lowered her lashes until they almost cuddled her cheeks and slowly raised them again, like a theatre curtain. I was to get to know that trick. That was supposed to make me roll over on my back with all four paws in the air.'
Raymond Chandler, The Big Sleep 


I can do nothing like the above. In fact I have never even attempted to go for such description but I do like the idea of trying to describe some of the folk that we met on our trip.

It will be an interesting challenger to give myself....but think it will add depth to the story.

In fact as I was driving this morning, and thinking of this blog post (as yet unwritten) and of the India story....I came to the realisation that where I have begun the story... is not where it should actually begin.

Yes, one of those 'ohhh' moments of clarity. They are rare, but hopefully my thoughts haven't led me astray. Only time will tell. But as I nut out this concept, I will have to work on trying to add more to make the story than a boring step-by-step travel entry.


I will add physical descriptions. I will look back on the photos and remember what people looked like and how they sounded....the colours they wore.

Anything that I can capture to try and bring the reader in.


But I'm sure there will be some characters I will find near impossible to replicate in written form.
No matter how hard I try.

:)


Vicki

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....