TO GOAL OR NOT TO GOAL.....

That is the question. Do you....make goals that is?
I know quite a few people refuse to make resolutions or even set goals - they believe what will happen will happen and that you should open yourself to the bigger picture. Which works for some and last year I made a determined effort to say 'yes' to as many opportunities that floundered my way.

However I know that if I created no goals I would do bugger all. It would be one long reading and relaxing and getting-not-much-done-fest. Which works at times. I won't deny that there are times when you need to put the world on hold and just do nothing. It recharges the batteries, and sometimes makes you realise what EXACTLY you want to do, not what you feel you SHOULD do. Big difference.

But when faced with a whole year of unplanned-ness (is that a word and if not can I make it one?) I find it daunting. And I do like to have a direction to head in. Notice I'm saying direction. I've learnt, that for me, goals are mainly a direction. They are not set in concrete and if life does get in the way (and of course it does)  I can either put things on hold, take a new direction and even change my focus. This works for me.

I must admit that when I first started putting down goals (urged by my writer's group and now goal planning is a big part of our January meeting) I had a list a mile long and of course when they were not met at the end of the year, I felt a failure. Big mistake. Over time I have learnt to really THINK about what I want to achieve, what new ideas excite me, what do I want to continue working on (and not compare myself to others )

But I do need something to aim for.

So have I set any goals yet...no. I have a few ideas bouncing around in my head- but nothing yet that I can say 'that's what I'll do this year'

So watch this space- I will ponder some more and goals will be set. Meantime I'd love to hear what some of your goals are.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....