LAMINGTONS, TIM TAMS, VEGEMITE.....

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!

I've been wondering what makes us Australian? And what makes Australian writers? I'm boringly Australian - I was born here, my parents were born here, their parents were born here and I think 99% of THEIR parents were born here. If you look back far enough we have the perennial bloodstock of English, Irish and Scottish- add a touch of Spanish and for some reason Nova Scotia (I think someone was 'sent' there) - and that's me. Australian.

But what makes an Australian writer? If we write about lamingtons and Vegemite- does that mean we qualify? If we write about harsh rugged landscape, heat and drought?
But the majority of us live in the suburbs, surrounded by coffee shops and small boutiques - within walking distance to public transport and shopping centres. So if we write about the suburbs, about inner city high rises and racial violence, if we write about the small domesticities of every day life, the struggling concept of family and of relationships tearing apart - what makes this 'Australian'? 

Perhaps if we state that a character wore thongs and said Gday? 
If we mention the Sydney Opera House or Great Barrier Reef every few paragraphs?
If we talked of putting 'another shrimp on the barbie' or eating lamb on Australia day?
If we mention beer swilling bogans, throw in words like Vic Bitter or Tooheys? 

Or is it more subtle than that? Is it our style? Our ability to laugh at ourselves? The way we string our words together, sentence construction, our tone of voice? 

I really don't know...but today I will be having a BBQ- with lamb- there will be beer, there will be family, and I'm pretty sure there will be Tim Tams.
Enjoy your Australia Day :) 



Comments

  1. I prefer Marmite over Vegemite, would rather a Cornish pastie than a meat pie, and feel that a pecan Danish walks all over a lamington. The same with the creative arts. I think Winton, Courtney, Boyd, Nolan, Kidman, and Ledger are all overrated. I am also allergic to cricket. None of these things are likely to influence my writing.
    I don't want to live in a Republic, like the Union Jack on the flag, and believe Ned Kelly was not a hero.
    Am I un-Australian? I think not. Blanchett gives anyone in Hollywood a run for their money. Silverchair are one of the best.bands since the Beatles. Porter wiped the floor with Ginsberg and Kelly's lyrics rival Dylan's. Both Monash and Hollows rank in my list of heroes. I still get goosebumps when Advance Austalia Fair is sung well, and get a tear in my eye when I see veterans marching.
    My writing is influenced by what affects me profoundly and that could be anything, Australian or otherwise. I believe I write from a uniquely Australian perspective even though I live in the suburbs of Australia's second largest city. And for the record I acknowledge that both Winton and Courtney are better writers than me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comments Tony -----
    I'm not too keen on Vegemite- can't stand the taste of beer - can't surf - don't turn bronze under the sun - but.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I do need to check my iPhone auto correct (it's Courtenay Mr Apple).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....

PLANNING AHEAD...