A POEM A DAY...

So it's now December and I did say I would write a poem a day for November. Wondering how I went?

I did write a poem a day- 30 in all. Not all are workable- some were rants- a few were self indulgent tirades- but amongst them are quite a few ideas that I want to work with.

I have done this before - given myself the challenge to write a poem a day for a designated time line. Sometimes a week or two, once or twice a month. Usually I have an idea of what I would like to write about, I allow myself the day to think and ponder, for ideas to simmer away.

However this time I made myself write the poem first thing in the morning without pre-conceived ideas on what to write. It was very interesting the range of ideas that surfaced. Some were self explanatory.
My daughter moved out of home - so a few poems were about that experience.
My brother (youngest in the family) turned 40- a few poems about the expectations, the promises, trying to look in the mirror and mesh the image you see with how you feel.

The rest of the poems ranged from wanting to run away from home at any age - to being told at five that boys don't create - from facing your fears to the over sequinned and glittzed of Christmas - from seminars on self confidence to goodbyes.


I also noticed a theme - I became fascinated with family history. The stories that are told to us about our parents, our grandparents- and during this month I met two people who's family history was all lies. Both discovered as adults that what they had 'known' for years was not the truth. Both had to rethink and in one case rediscover their 'family' - a daunting prospect.

Would I do this again? Yes- partly for the challenge of writing each day- but mostly because I am interested to discover what my subconscious would like me to write about.
Just before a social outing that I was nervous about -  still very raw but I thought interesting....

Loneliness is like a coat
several sizes too big
Made of dark material
serviceable tweed perhaps
where stains won't show
and even if a bit tattered
will last several more years
because you will grow into it.

Vicki


   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....