AND WHAT A YEAR IT WAS...

2010 is nearly over. And what a year. I began 2010 reading I am Legend by Richard Matheson (which the movie is loosely based on, the book as usual, is so much better) and I'm ending the year by reading No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (another novel which inspired a movie). In between I have read over 60 novels - some I can recommend such as The Seal Wife - Kathryn Harrison, The Road - Cormac McCarthy, The Notebook- Nicholas Sparks and some YA novels such as The Winds of Heaven- Judith Clarke, The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman and The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins.

Others - well some had the kernel of a great idea, some had great writing, some were inspired by a real event that did offer up opportunities- but I felt they didn't make a whole. Working in a library means I see what others are reading, I see what 'best sellers' are coming in - and I must admit a lot of times I am disappointed. But then again that's the fun of the library- you can always return the book and get another one. (free plug to all libraries- where would we be without them?)

As for writing - well I did that too. Frankly I feared I had done very little - but looking back I have written
6 short stories
over 70 poems (most still rough drafts)
5 reviews - 2 book/ 2 poetry/ 1 short story
over 5000 of my YA Novel - work in progress
14 non fiction pieces
1 keynote speech
ran 1 workshop and featured/co-featured at 4 events
I had 3 of the non-fiction pieces published - 6 poems and 2 short stories published - a poem and a short story won prizes in competitions and I was Acting Editor for Page Seventeen (and had a well deserved twelve days in New Zealand.)

 I feel you can't look back over a year without looking at the people that have influenced that year. This year my writing group, Lazy River Writer's - were as usual, great inspiration, and my husband who encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone. But this year two people really spurred me on.

Tiggy Johnson - who has left Melbourne for the wet and wilds of Brisbane. Tiggy really pushed me this year - simply by saying 'and you could do this, I know you could.'  Her belief in me and my abilities made me consider the possibility- well perhaps I could do that - and even the attempt of something new was part of the journey.

The second person this year that influenced me and my way of thinking about what I do is someone I work with, Donna. Not only does she encourage me but also believes that offering up a voice is important. She has also made me look at so many things with a new viewpoint- made me reconsider so much - and believe that I do have a voice and an opinion-  and more importantly, not to waste it.

2010 has been an interesting year- I have learnt a lot about my process of writing- about what I am afraid to attempt, what I enjoy- and that opportunities are always there. You simply have to decide whether to take that step or not.

Here's to a safe holiday break and bring on 2011

Comments

  1. Sounds like you've had a terrific year Vicki (other than the car of course!) You always put everything you have in to what you're doing and it shows. Have a fab new year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....