MOTIVATION

Sometimes it's easy - ideas flow, words run through your mind, twist and turn into wonderful phrases, stanzas and after time spent in front of the computer a poem / short story/ article/ chapter is created.

Other times, the world gets in the way.

That's where I am at the moment and it's in these moments that I give myself that kick-start to forward my writing and provide motivation.

Firstly - this month is Nanowrimo- for those not in the know this is when - world wide- people are given the challenge of writing a 50,000 word novel in November. I have friends that did it last year and are doing it this year, encouraging me to give it a go. No. I don't need the extra pressure of finding the time (and inclination) to write like that. BUT ....I have given myself the challenge of writing a poem a day for the month of November.

I have done this before- a poem a day for a month. I'm not saying each poem will be brilliant, or even good, but at the end of those 30 or so days there is fodder to work with. Sometimes 3 or 4 poems emerge, sometimes there will be ideas for at least 10. So today, 3rd November, I'm onto my third poem. So far so good.

My next kick start was to put my name down for this weekends VWC Young Adult Masterclass with Libby Hathorn. I ummed and ahhed over this decision, not only is it travelling into the city and back each day (15mts by car to train station, 1 hour by train- each way) but also there was a bit of a cost involved. Then a friend at work told me that I should do it, just for me. That everyone needs time (and at times money spent on them) to nurture and encourage them.

So this weekend, from 10am-4pm I will be immersing myself into the world of writing for young adults. I read a lot of young adult fiction and amazed at how many adults don't - feeling that it is too immature for them. Some brilliant writing is not getting out there simply because of this. I've also written for young adults, one novel that sits in the shoe box gathering moss, a verse novel never completed and am now working on another  young adult novel.

So between the two of these kickstarts- and hoping that life settles back down- here's to a month of good writing.

Wish me luck :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....