READING FOR ENJOYMENT....

I am a reader, always have been. I read for pleasure and enjoyment. In fact it's part of my nightly ritual, to read in bed before I go to sleep. Sometimes tiredness overrules and the book is put down after half an hour, other times and I'm reading and reading until I realise it is a silly hour in the morning and I have to get up soon.

I always have a stack of books by the bed.


In fact I begin to worry when I'm down to reading my last book. Small case of abibliophobia- the fear of running out of reading material. Which frankly, would never happen, as there are bookcases full of books in this house...but...the worry persists.

Over time I have noticed I have changed the way I read. Now I read as a writer. I'm pulled out of the story with inconsistent details. I'm annoyed by sloppy writing. Frustrated by bad dialogue.

I listen to audio books in the car on my way to work and back. I've found that mysteries/ thrillers/ crime stories keep my interest on the winding roads. Recently I 'read' or listened to a story by a well known Australian writer. Not a mystery, more of a family drama...and I found it not very well written. The idea was good and I enjoyed the theme but so many times I found myself re-writing a chapter in my head. Changing view points, reworking dialogue. Thinking, yes I know you want to show this but why so blatant a case of telling instead of subtle showing?

I also get to read a lot of children's books.


There is a bookcase in one of the spare rooms with a great selection of children's books. Both grand daughters (and BabyLeo) are read to each night when they stay. Sometimes one book, sometimes three. More often about five.

I also read children's books for my job. I read out loud between 8-9 books a week to babies and preschoolers...and once a month I read to the school-age children that attend Explorers.

To find these 8-9 books I read a lot more. Books I had thought would work, or were on theme but didn't quite hit the spot. I would probably read about 20 picture books a week. This doesn't include books that co-workers bring up and say 'have you seen this, it's adorable!' There are a lot of those books too.

And I write reviews for Magpies  magazine as well.


These are my latest selection to read and review.

Reading with a critical eye is often a pain in the proverbial. When I'm totally enjoying a book I can't just be in the moment and go with the story, let the characters take me away. Instead I find myself wondering how the author did that...how did they create this feeling of home....how was the character so successfully crafted that I forgot it was a fictional piece of writing and was totally invested in the story.

It's worse when it's a story that I think could be improved on. I go from 'how on earth did THIS get published?' to 'but it was such a great idea, why did they ruin it?' When I come across details that I know are wrong ...'I'm sorry but that did not exist in that era. I know, I was there.' Or when there are too many 'coincidence' so the plot works...or when character after character are added and you have no idea who any of them are.

The audio book that I 'read' and was disappointed in, did give me some ideas for my own WIP though. Something I found lacking in it, I want to add to mine. I also want to play with the tense.

At times I do miss the days of simply picking up a book and reading for pure enjoyment. But books are so much part of my work life...that I have to know what I'm talking about. Being a writer also means that I know the other side of the story, I know the blood, sweat, tears, pain, joy and pure hell that the author has gone through.

Just wish I didn't need to think about it all so much.

Vicki 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....

FRESH START....