BOOK WEEK....

Book Week is not only a great excuse to dress up (working in youth services in a public library) it also opens up a great chance for some wonderful discussions.
What is your favourite book?
What was your favourite book as a child?
Do you have a favourite author?
A book you reread over and over again?


Dressing up means we get some great feedback. From 'WOW you look great' to 'what on earth are you meant to be?' and 'Is there something special going on?"

This year I encouraged my Storytimers to dress up and the majority made the most of it. It was great to see superheroes such as Spiderman, Batman and Captain America...we had four Elsa's from Frozen and a few Disney princesses...a witch, Princess Leia, a 'cool' kid and assorted warriors.... and I was one of four unicorns.


Love it when the crew at work throw themselves into it.

At Storytime we discussed the CBCA Book Week. We talked about how impossible difficult it would be to be a judge and choose the winners.  I read four of the books shortlisted and we got to vote. It was interesting to hear why they chose one book over another.

Some were simple - I like polar bears...or It was funny.
Others were more detailed - I liked looking for the mouse ...or....the poor stinkbug needed to stink because that is what he does.


This year's theme is 'READING IS MY SUPER POWER' and so my last costume for this week will be on a super hero theme.

I have one Tinies left...and an Explorers to run.

I have a few games ready to play...(excuse the desk :) )


Besides a chance to dress up and have some fun, the great part of Book Week (and yes dressing up) is having that initial conversation.

Why are you dressed up? Book Week? Oh, yes, I remember dressing up/ dressing my children/ grandchildren up as Max from Where the Wild Things Are. I loved that book when they were little.

It's about sharing the love of books. Recalling what we read as children, what we read to our children, what we are reading to them now.

And of course, reinforcing this year's theme


READING IS MY SUPER POWER.

Super Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....