KEEPING AWAY FROM SHMALTZ...

Over the past few months I've been spending a lot of time with my grandson. In fact I have had the fun  privilege of looking after him on a Friday while Mum and Dad both work.

It is a time of discovery for both of us.


When is nap time...if there is a nap time...how to catch a half naked baby who doesn't want his clothes on...what food does he like....what food does he like to wear...what song will he snuggle to in hopes of nap etc.

Huge learning curve for both of us.

And he is at a great age. Just turned one and it has been fascinating watching him make discovery after discovery.


He likes to switch switches, turn knobs, take down books, tear pages, push open doors, open cupboards. Push chairs, climb bookcases, remove DVD's, pull leaves, destroy flowers, play in dirt.

It has been great to see him try to work things out.


How do I make this bead move?



How far can I push this table?


Can I pat the cat? What will it feel like? If I can pat it, can I pull it's tail?

It's a chance to see the world through his eyes. New eyes which are marvelling at so much. He loves to watch the rain, the wind through the leaves.

And I'm wanting to capture this moment in words. I've tried a few times but each time the poem takes a drastic turn to schmaltz.


Too much sentiment. Too much overly twee phrases and thoughts.

At the moment I'm attempting to take a step back. I want there to be some heart in the poem but not too much of me, if that makes sense.

There will be aspects of me no matter what, my style, my choice of words, of phrases and wording...


It's an interesting struggle to have. I know what I want to say, just don't know how to say it.

So I'll attempt again and again. Something, I'm sure will come out of it.  Perhaps I will have to write 6...9...15 poems before one is close to want I want.

No matter what happens, I'm still having a ball playing with this little chap and watching him learn something new each day.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....

FRESH START....