POETIC START TO THE YEAR....

In a whirl and a 'quick-do-it-before-you-change-your-mind' moment I signed up for a six week online poetry course with poet Andy Jackson. I have read Andy's poetry and seen him perform several times, so when I saw this, very casual 'who would be interested in an online poetry course' I put my hand up.

Then of course I had doubts. Lots of doubts. Then, before I could change my mind, payment and committed.

Can I say, it was a FANTASTIC  way to start a year.


It got me thinking about words.

Got me thinking about topics and themes. How I construct poems. How I often use the easy way out.

Why I write poetry.


It's my way of trying to understand the world.

Putting down how I feel, hopefully without the Hallmark sentimentality smwaltz.


There are so many moments I attempt to capture. So many conversations with Miss Nine...often out there and crazy conversations.  Her view of life is as complex as it is innocent.

Or the moment Miss Two stepped into my high heels, walked around the room then spread her arms wide and with a Diva moment said 'tadah'.

Or when Baby Guggle looks at me and then smiles that cheeky smile of his.


I'm attempting to capture moments in time. Moments that go so fast, vanishing in a minute.  Happy moments and sad moments, deaths and funerals, birthdays and celebrations.

This course is finishing. This week is the last, a bonus week if you will. I have been pushed and written poems I didn't think I had in me.

And I have read other's poems. I have had the chance to give feedback, to try to understand what the poem makes me feel, what my response is.

I have absolutely loved these past few weeks.



It's given me a push. Helped to build my confidence and inspired me to learn more. To read more poetry. To get out there and hear more poetry.

Beginning the writing year with something that challenges you is always good. Frankly it's something I may have to incorporate into my goals each year. Give myself the challenge.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....