IT'S THE JOURNEY....

School holidays at work means lots of folks...lots of kids on console games and computers, lots of adults with lots of DVD's because 'there's nothing decent on the telly'.

For us it also means school holiday programs. The January ones are always a hit/ miss. Folks are either away and numbers are low, or no one goes away and we have hordes. It doesn't really matter as long as we are providing something for someone.

This year I am running a new program -  a Tinies Hands On...which incorporates the regular reading of stories and singing of songs but with an arty crafty ending.

The hardest part of this is dealing with adult interpretation. We have to focus on the journey, it's not the end product that matters.


So if, after reading a book about the sea and singing row row row your boat, if we attempt to make a fish.....it really doesn't matter what the fish ends up looking like.

It could have five tails....seven fins or no fins...it could have two eyes on the same side of it's head (flashback to a Simpson's episode!). It's getting to the end result that counts.

It's the colouring in- or scribbling to cover the page- it's learning how to hold the scissors. Even which hand to use. It's saying the words  fish, fin, tail. It's singing row row row your boat as we create.


So many of us rush to get that final result. And we want it perfect.

If it's meant to be a fish it had better look like a fish. A recognisable form of fish.

But that isn't important, it's what we learn on the way. For toddler's it's everything from 'glue is quite tasty' to 'white crayons don't really work on white paper'.  It's 'oops I've cut the tail off'  and 'a bit of sticky tape fixes everything'.


It doesn't matter how well we plan and strive for perfection, not everything goes as we want it to.

A writing buddy has just scrapped a hunk of the book she's writing. She's started again, new voice, new thoughts, new motivation. It doesn't mean those thousands of words she's already written are useless, far from it. In fact I think she said she was using it almost as back story for her character.

It's the lessons learnt. It's knowing you can actually write that amount. That you can see where a story is going. More importantly, you can see what is missing.


I have nearly finished my January goal of revisiting my WIP. And of course, a third of the way through I've decided to change tense. At the moment, that's all I'm doing. I'm scribbling notes, and frankly cringing at how bad this story is...but you see that's what I've noticed.

I have a plot, I have characters...but there is still a story to build. A lot of work needed to be done....and it has been a journey. I've learnt a lot and hopefully will learn much more.

Discover what works for me, how I write. What means something to me.

It's such a journey we're on when we chose to put pen to paper....sometimes we just have to see where it takes us and enjoy the ride.


Vicki 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....