GETTING IT RIGHT....

We had Miss Two for the weekend recently, and we took her adventuring. We went on a drive out to the country to visit the Alexandra and District Open Gardens.

She does love roaming our garden. Just discovering that if you are walking on a hill you have to lean, but not too far...and that at times you will fall over. She loves going out and picking an orange from the tree...she sometimes eats it...always loves to carry it around with her.

We visited three gardens, each one offering up something different. Something to think about in our own plot.

Whether it was the plant combinations...the colours...



Or the fact that Miss Two enjoyed them all.


She had a great time. Running on the lawns when there were lawns...



stopping at times to look at the flowers and say 'aw, cute.'

I found so many inspirations for my garden.


Yep so want one of these...



and I liked how regimented these hedges were then that burst of frothy flowers at the bottom.


I liked how gardeners found a plant that worked for them, then made that plant work. Repetitive planting looked great.


I also loved to see what caught her imagination. She loved the flowers (good girl! I have to have one grandchild eager to play in the garden!)...she loved all of the fountains. At one garden she even found a watering can and wanted to go watering plants like she does with us.



She LOVED following any little path. The more windy path that tucked between plants and she had to weave around...she loved. She LOVED stepping stones and board walks.

It was good to see and note, (as I have none of these things in my own gardens).  She also loved statues, not of fairies or people, but of animals that she recognised and could walk up to and pat.

I think at times, we forget what children really enjoy and want. Rather we give them what WE think they should enjoy. I don't know how many times I cringe at some of the 'best selling' books for children. But then I'm an adult, I have adult tastes and dislikes and likes. I read a lot of books to a lot of children...and I do have my favourites.

When writing for children we have to give them what they want. Whether it's talking animals in a secret kingdom, naughty children getting up to tricks, children saving the day by their own clever abilities.  Some concepts are eternal, children will always enjoy a lot of the same plots and themes we did as children.

I really think the key is not to forget what excites a child. What makes a child laugh or smile..what makes them want to escape...take them on an adventure...show them something new and exciting.



You should never forget your audience.

Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....