UNDEEP...

Last week I went on an adventure. I tend to visit my sister and her family regularly (working permitted). I took a few days off during the first week of the school holidays and went for another visit. But this time I took Little Miss with me.


I took a few audio books for the long long drive....however she didn't want that. She wanted to chat. So chat we did...for nearly five hours.

This was her first time on such a long drive. First time staying with my sister and her family. First time for so many things.


She brushed and loved Ellie...


She roamed the river. At one stage even going for a swim.


always with an eye out for eels.


She decorated some cupcakes...


Walked up the big hills behind the house.

She played with animals, ran with alpacas, fed a baby lamb, chased chickens out of the house yard. She had a blast. Nothing tired her, she kept on going.

I, on the other hand, am not as young as I once was. But it was great fun.

Going to my sisters is a time out. My phone doesn't work up there. I have no reception, no wifi. So I switch off from the world.




I did it this time too.

I go for walks, I chat. I wander the garden, play with assorted animals.


I find it very relaxing. In fact as soon as I've returned home, I have trouble sleeping again. All the worries return. Have to do this/ ring this person / book in this / plan this for work / decide on this.

This trip was interesting as I got to spend a lot of one-on-one time with Little Miss.

It's a great way to understand what interests a child, what bores them. What they want to do. The language they use (when in the river she kept telling us about the undeep part ---the shallow end :) )

Of course I noted it all down. Some may be used, some will never be used. I'm sure something will spark an idea.

       

I also love seeing my sister's creativity in full force.  Find her work on Facebook...Karmaree art. 
It inspires me, even though I know I can never create anything like she does. Does give me ideas though.

I returned home. Tired..oh so very very tired...but also quite relaxed.


I do believe if you want to write for children you have to understand and like children. You have to know what they want, don't want...what they think is fun and exciting...what bores them senseless.

Talk to them, but most importantly...listen to them.



Vicki 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....