SUBMITTING...

I have this story, it's a good story and I think it has a chance at publication. A friend of a friend mentions a publication is looking for stories...aha...time for my first submission for the year.

First step is to find my story. I had saved it...of course I have saved it.

But alas not by title. Ten minutes of searching and mild panic and it is found.

Next step...now to the internet to make sure that said publication is still looking for stories.


Forty minutes later, and much getting lost down the rabbit hole that is the internet (so many simple clicks can take you to so many places) and I have found that yes they are.

So back to story. I check the word limit. Hmmmm...it is over by 85 words. Will they notice? I suppose they will. Time for a bit of tweaking. Subtle moving of words and taking away anything that doesn't work.

Seventy five minutes later I have the story just below the word limit.

Great. Time to send but wait....

Check that I'm meeting all criteria.

Font and size, all okay. Margins? You must be joking? Obviously not.

Twenty minutes later...I think I have met those requirements.

Page numbers, to be centred.

Another few minutes and I'm back.

Author bio. Two lines.



Twenty minutes later and I have an abridged, two line, version of my bio.

Author photo?

Sigh.

Search through photos to find one I deem suitable. Ten minutes later and I have bio and photo ready to go.

Okay, now I'm ready. Back to publication page to double check I have ALL that I require...somehow lose another thirty minutes.

The internet is a strange, strange world.

It was all writing related. Well almost of all it. That zucchini and cheese fritter recipe looked very good.


I am ready to go, quick check through the story to make sure no obvious typos....a few more tweaks and adjustments and twenty minutes later I'm ready but....

There is something about the title.

It's just not working for me.

Fifteen minutes later and it's still not working.  I can't send it out like this.

One load of washing, a quick glance at The Walking Dead (perhaps two episodes), a coffee and biscuit and I think I have it.

New title and I LOVE it.

My story is ready to go. Once more double, or by now, triple checking I have met all the necessary criteria. And nearly six hours later I hit send on the keyboard and my story flies away.




I was going to work on some actual writing today but today is no more.

There is always tomorrow. I have heard about a competition and I have this poem that would be great for it.

All it needs is a tweak.

Or two.

Vicki










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....