LEARNING THE LANGUAGE...

On the weekend I went to my first ever BBQ festival. I went with five men who were ready to celebrate the carnivore within.


Now I know a little about these slow cookers---other half has one at home. But until now I didn't realise the huge variety of cookers - there were barrels and egg shaped ones, box shaped, ones like ours which resemble a small train (puffing billy in fact) and even this one...


How great is that? 

Not only did I get a lesson in the various types of cookers / bbqs available - it was also time to learn some of the lingo. 

Talk of fireboxes and creosote. The difference between a dry brine and a rub. What makes a good bark (yes bark)- how to assemble the flavour base then the flavour layers . Talk of blind box, hickory pellets versus apple shavings. 

Then of course there was the tastings...


It reminded me how language plays a large part in creating an atmosphere. At the BBQ everyone talked of ribs and briskets, of flavour bases and rubs and brines and sauces.

I have just finished Jackie French's Barney and the Secret of the Whales- a historical children's book dealing with the whaling industry. Jackie, of course is a great researcher, and uses this skill in her books. She creates not only the feel of the moving deck beneath our feet but we can see the waves coming towards us and taste the salt tang of the sea. 

She also uses the correct language - gunwale and quarterdeck- blankets (of blubber)- oilskin and sailcloth - scuttlebutts - harpooners and lances.

This gives an authenticity to the book, an extra depth, and I learnt something new. I didn't realise that the blubber came off in 'blankets' and I didn't realise how this was a part of our early history in the colonies. 

Using the correct language, the lingo, the speak, the words and phrases- adds an extra flavour. Adds layers and texture.


Something to consider on your next foray into the imagination.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....