BLANK PAGES....

Seems that I blinked and somehow January is behind us and we are heading off into February.

Second month of the year. One twelfth of the year gone and dusted...can't take it back...can't change it.

As for goals for this year...I am stumped. Really have no idea, a few vague nuances yes but for a concrete THIS IS WHAT I WILL ACHIEVE THIS YEAR...nothing.

For the garden, it's different.


I have an idea...dig a bit...usually dig a bit more...more often than not I dig a whole lot more. Then I plant, and plant, and move some around. I let them stay at least for a while. Some I will move again...


And so I tweak and rejig until it resembles a bit of how I wanted it to look. Most often it is just a vague nod to my original plan, but I had a goal. An aim.

The above bed began with other half cutting down the blue spruce. Add in the weeping cherry from Dad, Christmas and birthday present, then I added the plants from daughter's wedding (so it is called the Wedding Bed). No plan as such at this stage..but then I had it. Knew I wanted a flurry of soft shrubs towards the Mexican Mock Orange, and a blaze of changing annuals amongst full stops of perennials.

Definitely a work in progress but I have the image of what I am aiming for.


Under the silver birch it changes all the time. During spring this a bluebell haven with drooping sways of solomon's seal. Hellebores and cyclamen in winter. Stately acanthus and clivea in summer. There are also azaleas that burst into flower at just about any time.

The plan was for something else when these weren't flowering (which isn't often)- and out came the ribbons of spider grass. The goal was a serene green oasis no matter the time of year.


So what makes planning what I want to achieve writing wise so difficult? Gardens are not instantaneous. It takes time, months, often years to get to the final result.

I had two circular beds---one with roses---one with salvias and grasses. Loved them both. However the roses began to get less and less sunlight (lots of tall trees below driveway). So I dug a bit here, dug a bit more over there...moved some here...some over there.


Not everyone survived.  We had a few fatalities.

But the plan works. The beds have different colours and flower at subtly different times. They work. Not perfectly but it's on the way.

Back to writing goals for the year. With no real idea of what I want to do I put down a few 'throw away' goals.

Write some short stories. A nudge in the right direction. Actually I think I want to write 5 short stories (since it's now February it gives me two months to write each one). It's still a very vague and nebulous goal. All of them are.

This year I have no 'I WANT TO DO THIS'. It has happened before. And in fact one year I made no goals and guess what.....I achieved bugger all. Interesting coalition.  I know I work better with a plan, with an idea of where I'm heading.

Just at the moment I don't know where this is.

Hopefully I'll get a bit of inspiration...soon.



In the meantime have I told you of the plans for the area near the drive?

Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....