Last weekend my writing group ran a writing workshop with Phillipa Martin, who writes crime as PD Martin. Actually it was more of a masterclass than a workshop. Phillipa gave us so much information, so much to think about. It was an intense day, but one that left us really thinking about the writing process.
Not only did we look at the basics of writing- character, dialogue, plot - we also looked at what makes good writing. We discussed research,writing styles, genre writing, and then the nuts and bolts of getting published. Definitely a masterclass. One of those where you go home to debrief and thoughts scurry round and round in your head till the early hours.

Phillipa said that she would go over a wide variety of information, some of which we would know, some would be new to at least one of us. And as long as we went home with five new pieces of information it was worth it.

Frankly I think we all went home with more than five.

I for one am not big on research, unless I have to. I know that I will be lead astray, wander aimlessly down side tracks until what I was supposed to be doing is long forgotten. And I know I'm not alone in this aspect. Just what I need, another form of procrastination.  Yet I discovered a way that I could research without it being such a runaway train. Hopefully I can put this to the test in the future.

I have also never been big on project schedules or plans. Always been a bit afraid of such rigid structure but after seeing an example it doesn't appear that daunting. Something to be at least attempted. If only once.

But more importantly for me was thinking about the characters in the YA novel I'm reworking. So much of what Philipa said made me think and rethink what I was attempting to do and what I was actually doing.


This is what I enjoy from workshops. Not only being able to hear how an author works, how they got from point A to B (and hearing all the meanderings of how they passed through CE and F to get there) but also those moments when things click into place.

Often they are things we already know on some level but today for some reason, it all makes sense.

You are never too old to learn and there is always something new to discover or  something that is reinforced.

We all know how tough the publishing world is, and getting tougher. Publications are closing, editors are taking less and less chances with new writers...yet we persevere, we keep on writing.

Writing takes creativity and skill, it also takes self belief, timing and a good pinch of luck---but for me the main characteristics of a writer is determination.

All of the above are meaningless if you give up.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....