STRUGGLING WITH A SYNOPSIS....

Yep, writing a synopsis is right up there on my list of favourite things to do, right next to visiting the dentist and doing my tax.

So why do I find this so hard? (and I'm not alone in this). It's one thing to write a novel, to edit it, to redraft and rewrite, edit once more, rewrite yet again. And after about six versions of the novel a presentable product is produced...and now I have to summarise it.


Not only summarise it but make it exciting, make it sound like the editor/publisher has no choice but pick it up and publish it.

Everyone of course has advice to offer. But basically a synopsis has to cover all major characters and major plots. Add some emotional detail, not forgetting the all important hook.
Why is this novel astounding?
Why should it be published?
What is different about this novel?

This is the part I hate...

Finding the right words, and making each of those words count, is hard work. It takes time, it takes editing and drafting. It takes a belief in your work and an understanding of exactly what the novel is about. And often as a writer we lose track of both these things. I know I do.

Basically a synopsis should be written in present tense and in third person. It should be like the blurb on the back of a book. After all the idea is to sell your story to the publisher/editor. Making them want to read those first three chapters and demand to see it all. Then of course the bidding war begins and before you know it your novel is Movie of the Week. (a girl can dream)


I think the best bit of advice I received on writing a synopsis was from Emilie who said 'Pretend you are writing it about someone else's work - and your job is to ensure the reader gets the best possible sense of this awesome piece of work.'

I think I can do that.

Just after I've done my tax.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....