Watch how they sparkle...

Last weekend, a cold and rainy spring Melbourne weekend, I decided to abandon the garden and dive into spoken word. Not that there is much to do this end of the woods, or hills, or ranges, whatever the case may be....but there are two gigs that I do get to as much as I can, when work and life doesn't intrude.

Saturday was Stoppingallstations at Nunawading. It's a lovely venue and Carole is a very welcoming host. There is an open section (offering a wide range of great poetry) as well as a feature each month. This month it was Tiggy Johnson. Tiggy's first reading came from her newly released collection 'First Taste' - and although I know these poems quite well it's always great to hear them again, read with such style and I love watching people's reactions especially to poems such as Concluding and Solitaire.


Her second set was new poetry, mostly inspired by her major camping trip with the family around most of Australia. I was very interested to hear this, as I was curious how, or if, her poetry would alter or change and what would be the focus. Funny enough, since there had been an election while she was away, that featured in a few poems...but I really loved Tiggy's poems dealing with her family, especially the children. One poem was based on things she had learnt while holidaying with her family, very funny and so able to relate to. I also loved her poem about the changes in her now two year old. Every parent in that room was nodding their heads in agreement and sighing with memories of how their children have changed. Frankly it was great work.


On Sunday my friend Jenni and I went to Poetry in the Hut Gallery... held in the Hut Gallery, 157 Underwood Rd, FTG (9758 8955).  We try and get out to this one as much as possible, held every two months, (the last one for the year will be November 14th 3pm for a 3.30pm start) . This is a very laid back and welcoming venue. There are no features and Alex makes everyone feel welcome and special. What I most enjoy about this gig is the variety. There will be everything from poetry to spoken word, short story and prose to song, bush poetry to humourous skits.

It was a great weekend of words. I love hearing what others are doing, what subjects are being tackled, what points are view, what styles. And I so enjoy being in the audience as words sparkle, entrancing us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....