Slamming at the Spinning Room

What fun it was last night. Geoff Fox organised a slam- held at the Spinning Room, one great venue (thanks to John and Anthony for hosting) . It was a good crowd and dare I say some great poets.
The open mic got the poetry juices flowing (what a great open mic) and then the slam.

Some familiar faces....Michael Reynolds, one minute I'm laughing out loud at his poems, then he's got the room silent with a serious piece on family. Koraly Dimitriadis work- she memorised two poems dealing with the fragility of the everyday- some great insights.  Emily Manger memorised as well, her funny quirky thoughts on the phone and a relative had me torn between laughing and cringing. Emilie Collyer - whose work I so admire- once again delivered the goods. Her words leave me wanting more, and pondering life (in a good way).

Then to me there were some new faces and voices - and I must admit this is one of the reasons I love venturing off the mountain. It's hearing not only poets that I know and think are so good, but hearing new ones that just amaze me with their abilities.

Last night I heard three new voices  (did I mention I don't get off my mountain much? - so new voices for me ) - Tariro Mavondo -  an exciting new voice with great strength and a great use of language. Loved her use of singing with the poetry.

Also Sam Zifchak -  loved his use of language, rhythm and rhyme - his narrative style was very impressive...and Marc Testart - who memorised all of his poems and delivered them with such style and passion. Who obviously enjoys playing with words and rhythm.
WOW - these guys were amazing.  -  their voices, their ability with words and language.

It was a great night, a fun night and I heard some poetry that made me realise that there is so much out there worth hearing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....