DISTRACTIONS....

I put my hands high in the air, I am easily distracted. Doesn't have to be by much.

Could be by a plant, a bit of sunshine, a bit of rare rain. I'm easily distracted and therefore I procrastinate. I should be writing but heh, it's a good day and the garden needs work.

I should be writing but it's sunny and there is washing to hang out.

I have a million excuses, some of them even good excuses, why I can't be writing right now.



There is family and frankly that is very important. I have my husband and children...in-laws...and very much loved grandchildren. Children won't be children for that long, they grow so fast. So if there is a choice between family and writing, family will win time and again.

Then there are other distractions...


These distractions are easily avoided but, alas, most are so much fun. This is where choice comes into it.

In an attempt to not be so easily distracted I have my laptop set up so all I do is write on it.

And the only thing on it, at the moment, is the children's novel I'm working on. My work in progress.



So when I set up I simply write. Yes, other things are happening, and yes, I'm still easily distracted BUT I don't go to Google to hunt for something, do some research or waste precious time. I don't go to Facebook and check on the latest happenings. I don't check email....all of which can lead you down the rabbit hole and before you know it, hours have simply disappeared.

I can easily check email/FB/research but it means getting up, leaving the laptop, and going to the PC in my study nook. Just that short distance becomes a bit of a barrier...mentally.

Do I really want to stop the flow of words to find out whether this is the exact term I'm looking for? Or is it easier to put down some xxxxxx in the manuscript and keep on. Returning when I'm ready to do the research.

For me, at the moment, this is working fine.


I set up, notepad by my side for those 'ideas' or 'plot points' or even 'character problems' that crop up.  And I write.

This is my first time with a laptop so I'm enjoying the freedom of writing wherever I want.

Kitchen table.

Lounge room.

Outside on the deck.

My other goal for this project, is to have an idea of where I'm headed for each chapter. This novel, writing in a totally new genre, is more plot orientated than any others I've attempted. I haven't planned it totally. Let's face it, I've hardly put anything down that would be considered a plan.

I have a vague idea of where I'm heading, and each chapter I think of something that will happen (or not happen) that will lead us in that general direction.

So, for the moment, only writing on the laptop is proving productive. I'll look back on this process when, if, I finish and see whether it will work for other projects.

I'm not saying this is the answer for me to sit down and write. There are still, and always will be distractions. I'm not a mega focused person....

but some distractions are cuter than others.



Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....