EAGER TO LEARN...

Lately I've done a lot of thinking and understanding about how I motivate myself. Or don't as I fear is the major factor. Through work we've had the opportunity lately for some workshops to discover what motivates us, and how we set goals. This of course, flows on into our personal life goals and ambitions as well.

Not only have we looked at how we are motivated but also our values.

Now this won't be a surprise to many but one of my top five values is tradition (it isn't my top value though). Actually one value stands out amongst the others - Universalism. For these particular workshops this equates to having an understanding, appreciation, tolerance and protection for the welfare of all people and for nature.

Then the next three values-

  • tradition- respect, commitment and acceptance of the customs and ideas provided by traditional culture or religion
  • benevolence - preserving and enhancing the welfare of those with whom you are in frequent personal contact (family and friends)
  • achievement - personal success through demonstrating competence according to social standards - are dead equal.

Even though I do have a high regard and respect for what has come before, I'm always open to new ideas and thoughts.

And learning new things.


Last weekend we went to a dumpling class (his Christmas present from last year) to learn the joys and frustrations of dumplings. Otao kitchen were amazing...if you are interested in a fun class or two, this is the place to go.

But back to learning.

We began with the basics of the dough. Very easy but in my case, not very round.


While the dough rested we began on our fillings.


Then it was onto putting the filling onto the pastry circle.


Now we were set to turn these little darlings into dumplings.

Hmmmm.

Sounds easy but learning how to finangle those perfect pleats was difficult.

I was all clumsy fingers and fumbling thumbs.



My dumplings definitely looked home made. In fact at one point when the teacher asked 'so what are they?' I replied 'my interpretation of what a dumpling should be.'

And really that is all there is to it. They tasted great! Fresh ingredients, everything hand made, even though they weren't perfect in the looks department.

The older I get, the more I realise this is a huge part of learning anything. To just get in there and have a go. Okay, at times there will be disasters but often there will be huge successes. You will be surprised and amazed at what you can do, what can be achieved.

I've decided that I want to learn more. That each year to experiment, and attempt new things. Whether it's a cooking or photography class....gardening group or some more study. I'm beginning to write more and more poetry (for someone who was a dedicated short story writer this is pretty amazing) and find that performance really makes me come alive. I love that shot of fear and adrenaline.

Perhaps it's all time we look at what we are doing...and try something new.

It may end badly but at least you will have said you had a go...or it could turn out delicious.

Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....