CELEBRATING BOOK WEEK...

Another year, another Book Week...another excuse for us all to dress up.
Not that many at my work place need an excuse. Frankly a 'It's Friday, dress up day' would suit the majority of us. (except for me, I don't work Fridays). But you get the idea.

This year we had some fun celebrating the joy of Book Week.  There was an extravaganza with face painters and stories and scavenger hunts and book making.


Each day there have been themes. Friday was Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Saturday, as you can see from the above picture, was anything. Monday and we were Dr Seuss (although I came as Little Red Riding Hood)


Tuesday and we were fairies - as yet no group photo but...



There were wings. A huge variety of wings. Can I say I had a bad case of wing envy. Some were AMAZING. Bit of a problem when coming too close to people, but they were beautiful.

Huge part of Book Week (apart from the chance to have fun dressing up) is to celebrate books. We look at the winning books and the honourable mentioned...and we look at books in general. We talk about how hard it is to be a judge and to choose a winner. We read books and we share our passion and love of books.


At Storytime yesterday I read a book 'I'm Bored' by Michael Ian Black. It is a great book to read to a big group of kids, but more importantly it shows how children can easily avoid being bored by escaping into their imagination. The children and I had a great discussion about how imagination is one of the best things going. How we can pretend to be kings or queens, that we can fight dragons and monsters, how we can sail a boat or travel to the moon in a canoe. With our imagination we can do anything. Be anything or anyone.


And with imagination, anything is possible.



We then talked about how reading a book, or being read to, is another great way of escaping boredom.  My heart melted when one of the mums came up to me afterwards and told me that 'coming to the library and hearing you read stories to my girls, is one of the highlights of our week. They just love it.'


I'm a reader. I have as far as I can remember been a reader, and I will always be a reader. It's part of my DNA. And one of the best things about my job is sharing this passion.

I helped someone yesterday who borrows audio books. We talked about various narrators, how we both prefer English accents to American, drama and mystery over softer love stories. She asked what I was listening to,  'My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece' by Annabel Pitcher (CAN I SAY I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BOOK...SECOND TIME I'VE READ IT AND I JUST ADORE IT MORE EACH TIME) and the woman ordered it then and there.

Book Week is fun. It's a time to dress up and get creative. But more importantly it's a time to celebrate what, for a lot of us, we could never imagine being without.

Books.



Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....