WHAT'S THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN...

A writing friend of mine has recently won some prizes in competitions, prize money and publication of stories, all very well deserved (she's a great writer). I smiled when another writing friend of mine said 'yes, that's what happens when you send stuff out.'

I smiled, if only it was that easy. The work has to be good, the timing has to be right but then I began to think when did I last send something out.

Hmmmmmmmmm.......still thinking about that. I"m sure if I looked up my 'paper work' it would tell me but between you and me, I'm afraid of the answer.

So what is stopping me?


Climbing the Gloucester tree in Western Australia, I was intent in making it to the top. Once there, then safely back down, then I thought of all the things that could have happened.

Could have fallen, could have broken something, could have had an anxiety attack and froze half way up. None of this happened....I wasn't the speediest climbing it and my legs turned to jelly when I was on the ground but I made it.

We all have fears...two of my biggest fears are snakes and deep water...well not deep water, it's when I can't touch the bottom then I panic big time!  But I have held snakes (with someone who knows what they are doing close by I must admit) and I have snorkelled on a coral reef and only felt that stab of panic when I realised I'd have to swim back to be able to touch ground. It has been done.


High places don't necessarily frighten me, it's stopping the instinct to jump off. Walking out on the ledge was exhilarating, but once back behind the fence all those 'what could have happened' thoughts hit.

I think my lack of sending stuff out is up there with one of those fears. Which is totally stupid.

Worst case scenario- you get a rejection. That's it.

No one is going to reply and tell me that I should stop and desist all writing, that I have no ability, that I'm wasting good paper and their time reading my crap. Well I hope not.

Best news- publication...or a win in a competition.
Worst news- nothing...rejection.

Yes there are some gaps in between. Over three times now I've been close, as in publisher has wanted entire manuscript, read it, liked it, asked for me to work on it....and then....sorry no.

Which hurts like hell. (and yes I know us writers are meant to have thick skins but sometimes....)

Another friend tells me this means we are close, so close. Of course close is not there...and the industry is getting smaller and smaller....and my work isn't ready just yet....and surely there are others out there writing on the same subjects and themes and .....


That writing friend of mine is right. If you send nothing out, then you will receive nothing in return.

Time to get busy.

Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....