WHAT TO READ NEXT....

One of the perks of working in a library is the free and easy access to books. SO many books. Books and books and books. The only problem is knowing when to stop...because in reality we all know that we can't read everything that's out there.

And the truth is, so much is just bad.

Rubbish.

Horrid...in fact I shed a tear for the trees that died for some works to be published. But we all know that, as in everything, it is so individual. All down to taste.




So how do I choose what to read next?

So many ways...so many venues. Firstly I'm a trolley picker...in fact there are folks who come into the library and only choose books that are on trolleys, because in their view 'if someone has already read it, it must be okay.'  Let me tell you, that is not necessarily true. But...I do pick from trolleys.

I often see something returned and say yep I want that, often to be placed on hold. I also do roam the shelves, not as often as I used to, there is just not a quiet moment at work for that anymore.

And of course there are recommendations from fellow readers, patrons at work who insist I MUST read this author or this book, or this series or this genre. Once again, it doesn't always work.

I also tend to trawl the catalogue for 'new titles'....but I'm quite a visual person, I like to know at least what the cover looks like, or be able to read the blurb and if I like that, open to the first page and see if it grabs me.



Then there are the lists...for children's and young adult you can't go past Magpies....great to know what is new and hot off the presses.  There is also Goodreads ....Bookriot....and I'm sure many more...but these are two that I use.

I also use Robinsons bookshop newsletter. I peruse it, tick what I feel interested in based on staff reviews or the blurbs....


However often I'm left wondering what on earth was that reader thinking. Very few, in my opinion (and remember it is down to personal taste) have lived up to the rave reviews that readers give them.

At the moment I'm on the last three of my 'ordered from recommendations'.


So far, so good...but look...only three waiting for me. I need ....want.....MUST HAVE MORE. 

But how do I pick them?

My writing group also has book recommendations (and ones to really really avoid no matter what) in our monthly newsletter. For me this works well, as I not only know my fellow writers, I know which ones I share a similiar reading style or interest.

But what to do? Dare I simply pick from a trolley and take a punt, do I order some more from recommendations of people I know and trust?

Decisions...decisions....decisions.

How do you choose what to read next?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....