TO MEMORISE OR NOT....

I'm always in awe of those poets that get up on stage and just go for it. No piece of paper in their hand, no mobile phone or Ipad clutched tight. They simple burst with poetry. They have memorised their work and are now performing it.

Not reading, not simply uttering words ...it is a performance. And it's always something amazing to see.



Every now and then I like to give myself that challenge...to memorise a piece of poetry and recite it.

I have asked various poets over the years how they do it...how they manage to remember their work...and it's by repetition.  No simple and quick format...it's by going over and over the poem.

So that's what I do. I pick a poem, and this is very important, pick the right poem. Not every poem is a spoken word poem. And not every poem will be easily memorised. I find that it has to have a flow. If it starts here and abruptly goes there, then back tracks way over to the pre beginning....it's very hard to get it down.

I like to see the growth - the telling of a story---the logical sequence.


So I choose my poem..then I begin to read it out loud. I do tend to section it into chunks.

Bite size chunks. So I will go around the house, reciting a chunk. Then going back to the page, finding out what I missed out, what I muddled up. When I have the chunk down, swallowed so to speak, I bite the next chunk.

Usually I find that it doesn't take too long to have it all in my head. The problem I have then is the editing. Because as we all know reading work out loud is so different to reading it on screen or on hard copy.

Words spoken have different flavours, different tones, different depths and meanings. So I edit.

The only one who hears my work at this stage is Tigger...and she is very good at making her opinion known.


 This is her, desperate to get out the door...away from my poetry. Notice her rapt expression...her total rapture with my words. Hmmm..yes.

Once I have the poem down, then it's time to play. All the different ways to deliver it. Most people will tell you not to 'act' out the poem...and I agree. Mind you I do speak with my hands..and I think it helps. I don't want to recite a piece of work with my hands clutched tightly together.

But so much can be done with tone, with pitch, speed of certain areas.  Altering the volume, the pace...keeping the rhythm. There is nothing worse than reading...anything...in a monotone.

This is when you are given the chance to be a storyteller. And of course eye contact is so important. Look around the room, at everyone (hopefully listening).  It makes them feel included but also gives you a chance to see how they are reacting. Hopefully well.

Most importantly look confident. When you are delivering your own work, no one knows if you stuff up, if you put in the wrong word, change a line or two. You of course will know, but if you continue confidently no one listening will ever pick up that fact.

All they will see is someone giving a damned good performance.


A delectable performance at that.

Why not give it a go?

What have you got to lose?

Vicki
http://vickithornton.weebly.com/





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....