Mother's Day...

It's interesting...Mother's Day comes along (as it does each year) and we are bombed with advertisements. Realistically though how many boxes of chocolates, diamonds (to make Mum's day) or electrical appliances does a woman need....or even want? (Let's not even think about the poor mothers who receive a vacuum cleaner for their day!)

And I won't mention all those retailers that insist Mum needs a pair of slippers and a new set of pyjamas....
When the children are young it's nice - and I use that word very carefully- to receive something that they have bought in a mad panic at the school stall. Usually a bar of soap with a fake flower or perhaps a very ill plant in a tin can painted bright pink.  These gifts are usually accompanied by a hand made card, usually strewn with glitter, bright colours and misspelt greetings--- but that makes them all that more beautiful.

Sometimes there is breakfast in bed- I have always HATED breakfast in bed. Crumbs and spillage and I know who will be cleaning it up afterwards...

Then the children grow up- they make more interesting items...

 and their gifts become more personal...usually.

Now don't get me wrong- I like a present as much as the next mother but what I love on Mother's Day is spending time with my kids. That is what it is all about...getting together. Talking, laughing, usually eating...but the laughing..that to me is what Mother's Day is about.

This year not only a great day spent with daughter (Rocky Horror Picture Show----Craig McLachlan was super funny)- but we caught up with son and his partner and little girl that night.

So a chance to talk, to laugh but when you write you can't help but note down comments.
Talking with Little Miss...
she points to a serviette 'see that is a triangle'. Impressed I open it out and ask and what is this?
'A flag,' she says, I smile then ask 'but what shape?'
Hands on small hips, 'flag shaped.'

While we were eating dessert- or actually while she ate hers, mine, his, etc she pointed to something and said 'and that's a rectank'.

'You mean a rectangle,' I say slowly and carefully so she could hear the word correctly.

Big sigh, 'No Vicki, you are wrong that is a rectank. I know because I learnt it.'

Yep I've noted these - among so many others.  Do I write down what my kids say? At times, they still make me laugh, still make me wonder what is going on in their minds....and some of the things that have happened to them is pretty amazing....so yes I take notes. 

The one good thing is that they don't read my writing - so they will never know when I have used them as fodder for material. :)


Let's hope they never catch on.

Vicki
http://vickithornton.weebly.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....