THE THEME FOR 2013 IS....

DECLUTTER! And yes it deserves capitals...in fact I'd write it on the sky via jet plane if I could. Not that I'm one of those secret hoarders that you hear about on the news once they are dead because  no one can walk into their house because of all the crap.

I'm not that bad...it just feels that it's time. I will state I'm not a born neat freak, cleanaholic or even tidy person. I like clutter. Like bits and pieces around me...they inspire, they motivate, they help me create.  However when part of your bookcase looks like this...

(and that was the tidy section) you know it's time to do something about it...bookcase, life, and all.

I dream of having a work area looking like this....

with shelves looking like this....
Dream I repeat because it won't happen...not for me. However I'm intending to make this year the year of declutter- of removal- of taking away- of getting rid of---of throwing out.

I've began in a small household way- out went the odd socks (after those that could be matched were reunited with their mates) - and why did the son who hasn't lived here for more than a year have so many?  I also threw out all those jars in the fridge that had half to one tablespoon left in them - once again WHY?  And the Christmas decorations made it to the first of January then they were boxed up and put up on the laundry shelf.

So I began in a small way----and I have my list to work on. My desk area is next on my list, but since it is such a large job (and it's so easy to get distracted) I've cut that up into manageable pieces.  I will do my 'work' area first - this includes puppets and toys used for Storytimes and Tinies Times - also the jingle bells and musical instruments- the colouring books and crayons - then there is the craft area- for card making and cross stitch and knitting and sewing ----then it becomes the writing area.....which is where it is so easy to be distracted.

Do I need that article? I ripped it out of a magazine for a reason...why? So I read it, wonder about it, often this becomes a 'hmm must write poem about this' or perhaps time to google the subject/ author/ magazine -  which on most days is good- real good- BUT not on the declutter day. D Day as it will be now known...this is bad.

 If I keep doing this how will my life end up looking like this...

Love the colours but frankly finding anything would be a real pain.  Although would love to see the library like that with patrons coming if for 'that red book by that Russian guy' - simply walk to the red books and heh presto- there it is.

 I hope my dedication to D Day will help in several ways. Tidy house = tidy mind (or so they say, don't quote me on this) - but also I hope having a reasonably tidy work area will help me with deadlines and such that I have repeatedly missed over the past few years.

Hopefully this will carry over into my writing. Do I need this sentence? Does this paragraph add anything? If not, cut it, delete it. Remove it. Writing tighter with less 'crap' will surely be a good thing.

So here's to a year of Declutter....I'll hope to give a progress report in a few months. Even be brave enough to post photos of my 'new and improved' work area.

Perhaps...when tidy.....if it looks anything like this...




Comments

  1. I'm having a bit of a declutter at my place too Vicki. I'm even planning to recoup(e?) some cash by having a garage sale a few months down the track. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....