TO KEEP OR NOT TO KEEP...THAT IS THE QUESTION.

I've been steadily cleaning out my work area. Well when I say steadily I mean more like it's a WIP (work in progress). It's a haphazard approach that I'm taking. Begin with some boxes on the floor, then to some of the unidentifiable papers on the top shelf of the bookcase. I'm hoping to finish some time this year(preferably in the next month or so) ....I did say it's a WIP.

Not that I want my work area to be sterile and totally uncluttered- that is so not me. But I would also like to begin the year without drowning in surplus papers.


The hardest decision is what to keep, and what to throw out. Some of it was easy- and I suppose I was in the right frame of mind- so out when all the books and notes and assignments from the past ten years of schooling. This was the Diploma of Professional Writing and Editing- and then the Diploma of Information Studies (library). I did keep only a few pages from the writing course, and these were favourable teacher comments. Figured it wouldn't hurt to keep a page where someone has said 'keep it up, you're good'.

We all need some positive feedback - especially for THOSE DAYS when rejections appear to be the norm and as a writer you begin to doubt yourself.

So the rubbish bins have been filling up...


The text books were the easy part ....it's all those pieces of papers with old poems or story ideas. Some I knew were crap and so allotted to the bin....and yes I'm one of those writers that do throw things out.

When I write a short story and then edit and redraft it- I only keep the latest draft. I do not keep drafts 1- 6. I see no point in it. I also don't keep a folder with deleted sentences or chapters..just in case they will be used some other time. I've found that I don't work that way (although I do know writers that keep such folders, hard copy and on their computers)

I also reacquainted myself with my novels. Yes plural. Over the years there has been several, a few for young adults, a few for adults. And yes I have kept those....doubt I will ever re-read or do anything with them but they were a lot of sweat and tears. Too much so to just throw out.


I will work on it today. But it is so easy to be distracted, led astray by ideas, overwhelmed by 'but what if I NEED it'.

If I haven't needed it in the past year....I know I won't need it now ( well about 90% sure I won't). Yet I still hold on to so many things - just in case. The bookcases are overflowing and groaning under the weight of accumulated books and papers. It needs to be done.

Wish me luck...

Comments

  1. I wish you luck, but I am SO like you in that I am afraid I might need something later. I throw out and shred a great deal of stuff, so WHY do I have such a LARGE amount of stuff still? You give me thoughts to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still wondering about what I've kept...will it ever be used? And is it feasible to turn the spare bedroom into a library?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....