WRITING THE END FIRST....

I am so good at starting things. So very damned good!

Start clearing my desk, then distracted.

Start cleaning the windows..half house done and ooops..distracted.

Start a garden bed...




and before I finish (and I so see it all in my mind how I want it)....distracted.

Begin weeding a garden bed....distracted.

Anyone else see a pattern emerging?

I begin a poem...never finish. Begin a short story....it falters and stops.

So whilst on our writing retreat a few weeks ago, one fellow scribbler suggested I write the end of the junior novel I've been working on.


The interesting fact was that I could see it. Visualise the scene as though it were in a movie. So I wrote it. It's not a whole chapter, not even the entire scene...just that last image I had at the ending of this book.

It's the first time I've worked like this. I am a plotser...a by the seats of my pants kind of writer. Planning to me is boring, is tedious. It takes time away from the fun!



And once I had written this scene I realised how much work this whole piece needs.

I have created a world, but since I am not a planner it shows. I have no real idea of any of it. How it works, what's involved.

So at the moment I have a series of events, a loose storyline, and a few characters that resemble those cardboard dolls we used to dress up with paper clothes.


I am glad I took my friend's advice and wrote the ending. It has shown me exactly what is missing.

I'm going to put it away for the moment. I have to really think about my world, my creation. I have to----yes it's scary---but I have to plan. Really plan.


In the meantime I'm hoping to work on finishing things. Yes the beginning is exciting, but the finished result is just as great. It's hard work. It's time. It's determination.

Wish me luck.

Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....