SAYING GOODBYE....

My father recently died and the funeral was on Monday. His death was not unexpected, he fought a long battle with cancer, yet even though we knew it was expected, we are never ready to say goodbye.

But we did.



It was a lovely service, with all four children, twelve grand children (and one great grand child) attending.


One of my brothers did a reading, as did my daughter. And I did the eulogy.
This was one of the most difficult things I have ever written. I did one for my brother-in-law, but I was one of several who shared memories, stories and thoughts.

Here, I was one voice, trying to capture the shared memories of four children.


I must admit it took quite a few days to write.


So many memories that I couldn't include....I would have spoken for hours otherwise. But I did my best to attempt to sum him up. His hobbies and interests...the way he was.



I wanted my family to be proud of the final piece of writing. To be able to say, yes that was him. You captured him.

Honestly, I have never felt so much pressure for a few pages of words.


It was written and thanks to quite a few years of performance poetry, I was ready to read. It was a large church, filled with a lot of people...and I wanted each and everyone to share in our memories.


I wanted everyone to know what a loving and great man he was. And that I so miss him. Will always do so.

This poem was published in Dear Dad, an Australian Poetry Centre anthology. Dad was so chuffed to have 'his' poem out there for others to read.

PJ

You taught me how to bait a hook
that bees drunk on fermenting nectarines
tickle your palm
to enjoy reading aloud
and to become as one with the earth.

You taught me to drive a three on a tree
column shift baby blue Holden station wagon
to enjoy a good port
that rules are to be obeyed
and which ones can be broken.

You taught me that grief is ok
to believe in love
that quietly spoken
doesn't mean
having nothing to say.

Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....