HAVING A GO....

On the weekend I attended my first decorating class. This was a cookie decorating class held by Julia aka Miss Biscuit  and actually we were the last class in her home, she has a new shop where all classes will be held from now on.

I admit to being a bit nervous. Daughter, my partner in crime, had attended a short evening class just before Christmas. Which explained the gorgeous cookies that were given as presents.

My nerves increased when we met the group. Every person there had done at least one cake decorating class. Many were repeat offenders, doing class after class. They also made celebratory cakes for birthdays, weddings, engagements. I was the only person to say 'yep I'm a home baker.'


My insecurities grew when I was faced with my first blank cookies. Especially when we learnt that two women at our table had entered Australia's Great Bake Off (wow how great must their bakery skills be!) and the other woman was an artist. 


But I went for it.  Step by step.

Can I say that I now know how much time and effort goes into these cookies and that I so appreciate it when they are given. This is not a quick 'I'll whip these up in half an hour.'

The cookies should be baked the day before. Should. Can get away with it in the morning.
And then for the beginning of the icings.

Each colour, each form and shape (even wonky polka dots as above) has then to set before you can move on.


So we spent the day watching Julia demonstrate ( and weren't we silent during these occasions. Often accompanied by a muttered 'you have to be joking')

Then back to our tables.

And of course none of my polka dots are perfect--the lines are wobbly----the finished product nowhere near professional as many of those around me.

But...and I think this was a good learning curve for me...mine weren't completely rubbish.


The finished product, not too bad.
And  I thought my ice cream, complete with drippings, was pretty good.


Not amazing. Not stupendous. Not 'I"m now about to open a small cookie making shop'.

None of that at all. But I learnt a lot.

So Sunday I attempted my own cookies - and with daughter by my side - we got the consistencies of the icing correct.  She then left me to my own devices.


With my friend Google I discovered that you can use a dehydrator to dry the icing.  Everyone else uses fans and air conditioners..on for hours and hours.

This was my first attempt but 40 minutes seemed to do the trick.

It was a fun day (especially as I spent quality time with my girl which is something I treasure). It also gave me confidence to try new things.

So I'm not a cake decorator. It doesn't matter. I bake and I know consistencies and I understand the basics. It will take lots of practice and playing around to get ok---much more practice to be good.

The worst that can happen is I produce a biscuit that looks a bit dodgy. It will still taste the same, no matter the pattern on top.


The finished product..ok.

I see the mistakes (but then aren't we our own worse critic).

But my biggest accomplishment was having a go, not being daunted by the experienced decorators around me.

So why not try something new...give it a go. And if you fail...try again.
Giving up is easy. Too easy.

Vicki 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....