FIRST DRAFTS....

I have more first drafts than finished pieces. A lot more. In fact if I really thought about how much more I think I'd panic. Because in truth I'm pretty good at first drafts.

First drafts- or better yet- call it an idea.

A glimmer.

A speck that gets put down. Yep, I'm real good at that. A few lines here, a thought there, paragraph there....few hundred words over there, few thousand way out there.

And usually that's where they'll stay.


This is the latest 'first draft'. My junior novel, nearly 12, 000 words. And it is soooooo first draft...in actual fact it's more like a series of scenes with no connection or flow. But it is printed out, ready for me to go over and edit this weekend... and take copious notes. Lots and lots of notes.

My big question is -  will I do any more to it?

I don't have a great track record. Oh there are short stories and poems and even novels, yes novels, that I've worked on and edited and re-edited and polished and chipped and polished some more. Usually they are sent out once, and if nothing happens that is it (but that's another story).

So many more begin and then...nothing.

Big fat nothing.

Like I say, I'm pretty damned good with first drafts...because that is the fun part.

A few years ago I attempted Nanowrimo. Write a 50 000 novel in the month of November. In reality I more than attempted it, I finished, achieved, accomplished....I bloody well did it. Nearly 51 000 words in 31 days.

And it sits there, in it's file, on my computer.

I have taken the first chunk- will not say chapter as this piece of writing has nothing so refined and definite as chapters- but the first six or so pages did find it's way to my writing group for feedback. And it was well received. The story gained attention, people wanted to know more, why was this happening? What had happened in her past? What was the lie...or were there more than one lie?

Yet still it sits.


Mainly because the fun part was the building, setting the foundation, putting those words down. And truthfully to see if I could actually write that much in such a short deadline. Turns out I can.

The hard part is what comes next. Making a connection so that the story flows, that the theme is clear, the tone is consistent, that the actual thing makes sense. More importantly that there is a story to be told.

I'm the same with poems and short stories. Quickly put down the bare bones, let the words fall where they will. Never to return to them, to tidy up, to neaten and prune.


It's pure laziness. It's also a bad case of the 'why bothers'.  Neither one is terminal but just imagine what would happen if I actually worked on those first drafts.

What could happen, where they could leave?

I'll never know unless I try.

Who knows, perhaps I'll persevere and turn some of my first drafts into workable pieces.

Chances aren't good but you never know.

Vicki
http://vickithornton.weebly.com/

Comments

  1. I loved reading through your posts Vicki.

    I can relate very much to the fun draft stage. Also sending them out once then shelving them. I have sent a couple out and after a first no I want to rework the whole manuscript totally. Are we ever happy?

    As challenges appear to spur you on, maybe sitting a time goal for a final draft may help. Your writers crit group could hold you accountable if that helps *wink, wink*

    Kayleen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....