IT'S LOOKING A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS....

Less than a week away and hoping to finish my Christmas shopping this morning. Wish me luck. And in this hectic paced, frantic, people loosing their cool, becoming irate and irritable time of the year....who is actually writing? Well beyond a TO DO list (with very little crossed off).

(most of my decorations are handmade by me or close others---my sister made this lead light candle holder---gorgeous)

Yes it's that time of the year and frankly writing gets put to the back of the things that must be done---there are bonbons to buy...presents to source....mince pies to evaluate...and I'm sorry but I rarely do cards. Apart from the seemingly never ending to do list, the only writing I'm apparently doing is on the name tags for the presents that are piling up under the stockings.


 (I've made stockings for all of us- even Tigger has her own...and yes even after all these years, the kids still expect their stockings filled)

But I am writing- well perhaps struggling to write would be a better phrase. I'm working on a poem for Thursday (writing group)- working on the edit of a novel (had plans to finish that by Xmas---and I've run out of steam) - and have a notion, a mere slip of an idea for a short story.

Maybe I'm not struggling- maybe I'm allowing thought time- time for ideas and notions to mature- to settle into their correct place.

(my daughter made Rudolph in primary school and I love his quaint, one antlered, slightly stoned look)

We know that often our subconscious is filing away notions and phrases, ideas and AHA moments...to be brought to life when wanted, needed, or sometimes when we have no time for them at all. I think this is what happens during this busy time.

We begin to move faster and faster, so many things to do in so little time, we worry, we fret, we take our lives into our own hands and head for the shops....and all the while our mind is noting that character, adding that conversation, marvelling at what is out there in our lives, taking in the architectural landscape of dead branches against a hot summer sky.

 (We bought the nutcracker soldier and the santa gourd back from the Cologne Christmas market a few years ago...every time I see them I think of the freezing cold, the gluehwein, scent of gingerbread and the coloured lights on the stalls beneath the towering cathedral)

In reality we don't stop writing. We may physically slow down with the finger to keypad, pen to paper....but we are still taking notes, even if mentally. We are observing, notes are being scribbled, words recorded for the future.

And speaking of the future, I would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, may there be much love and laughter with family and friends...




and have a safe New Year.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....