ACT ONE, SCENE ONE....

One of the first plays I ever saw was Chekhov's The Seagull. It was for year 12 Literature and I still remember the ending. The sound of the gunshot ringing through the theatre, then the announcement that Konstantin was dead.



Over the years I have been to more plays. Some good, some not so good. Some very slick and some very amateur. But I have never thought about writing a play. Well a 'real' play.

I have written a children's play that was published in a magazine and then shortlisted for a competition and came quite close to being performed. But that has been my one shot at being a playwright.

Until recently.


A few weeks ago I went to a local theatre with some friends. It was to be a night out, some fun. Nothing more.But as I sat there I began to edit. Yes, I will put my hand up and say I wasn't lost in the magic that was in front of me,  I watched and listened as a writer. And I began to edit, thinking to myself 'if they cut that there and reinforced the theme in this scene'. I wondered about setting, about using the stage...and then to make things more complicated the friends I was with began to talk about what they thought was over written, what they would have done with the theme/topic/ characters.

All the way home and for the next few days all I could think about was what would I have done with those characters in that setting.  What would I have them say?...Not say?  Because one of the things I discovered that night is how important is the silence between words. How what isn't said is just as important as what is said.

I suppose it's like the white space in a poem. The timing and pacing in a short story. 

As of yet I haven't done any more than thinking about how a play is set out. About dialogue and the simplicity of set. 

But there is a niggling...a wondering if I could do that. Could I write a play? 



Or perhaps this is merely more procrastination. More spreading myself so that very little actually gets done. Having a million ideas is great, if you are doing something about it. Having a million ideas and then spending years wondering which one to tackle first...gets you nowhere.

So here's to a decision. To whittling down my list of THINGS TO DO to a manageable and achievable list, to actually get some of these things done. To stop dreaming and start doing. 

Here's to an end of procrastination...

wish me luck.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....