INSPIRATION....

As writers we know that inspiration is everywhere. All we have to do is open our eyes, use our senses (all of them) and listen. However, with everything else that we do in our lives, sometimes, sometimes the ability to notice what is out there in the world disappears.

For the month of February I was inspired by Tony Tulloch , (very nice person as well as a fantastic photographer) and decided that I would take a photograph for each day. Take a photograph of something that had grabbed my attention.


The one above was taken on one of those very humid mornings, before the sun had broken through the fog.

Some days were easier than others. Something, somewhere jumped out at me. Such as the photo below.
The sign was there on the way to work one morning, gone that afternoon. Which of course raised the question...was he found?


I made the decision to simply snap using my small point-and-shoot camera. There would be no major thought involved, no setting up of the scene, no waiting for the right light. Just take a photo.

What I wanted to see was where this collection of 29 photographs would take me. So far the beginnings of four poems have come out of the experiment, and perhaps (early days yet) one short story.


The above photo is of a sculpture at the front entrance to the library. With the slightest of breezes, the bells ring. A high tinkling sound. Musical yet ethereal.

I will say it was an interesting challenge. There were days when I thought 'what the hell am I going to photograph?'. But there was always something. And I think I learnt quite a lot. To really look, to see what I often take for granted.

The fog on a warm summer's day.
The sculpture I pass by each morning.
Birthdays, family, saying goodbye.


Even those rainy grey days offer something.

It's up to us, as writers, to see what we can create given the inspiration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

FRESH START....