A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE OPEN MIC....

Knock Knock.
Who's there?
Boo.
Boo who?
There there don't cry.

Humour...it's one of those genres that scare a majority of writers. Some people can write it so well (Timothy Train and his blog comes to mind...always makes me chuckle). Tim makes it appear effortless. Almost a stream of subconscious...that happens to be very ludicrous and funny.

Then there are those writers that THINK they can write humour when in reality the end product makes you cringe and try to avoid eye contact with them. And of course, you have the writers that aren't even game to give it a go. In case they make a total ass of themselves (yes ass not arse)


Writing humour is difficult. Not only do you have to be funny (and appeal to the majority) but when you read a humorous poem, anecdote or short story, the timing has to be exact. No one wants to wait....and wait....and wait for the punchline. Especially if you can see it coming.

I can't do humour. I try, must admit that, I do give it a go every now and then. Will try to put down on paper a funny event, or something over heard that I considered humorous...and sometimes it almost works. When reading it out loud there may be a chuckle from the audience, perhaps even a guffaw or laugh out loud moment. But that also happens when I'm reading something I consider un-funny.

See what I mean? Humour is so individual. What I consider funny, others don't. And I must admit I do prefer black humour over the 'pie in your face' slap stick.


As for the knock knock joke at the beginning of the piece. I had a 3 year old stand in front of me at Storytime. Didn't say a word, just stood there and stared.
I asked if he was finished making his (insert name of craft activity).
He stared.
I asked if he wanted to show me the finished product.
He stared.
I asked if he wanted to tell me something.
He stared.
I asked if he wanted to hear a joke.
He nodded.
I told the knock knock joke.
He stared.

Like I said before, humour is so individual.

Perhaps it's my timing?

Comments

  1. Thanks for the link. :) This post did make me laugh, though. Maybe the 3 year old didn't get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Tim :) perhaps he didn't

    and I so enjoy your blog and your writing ---although sometimes don't want to think what's going on in your mind ...chuckle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UNTITLED....

PLANNING AHEAD...

WHEN YOU ARE FEELING BLUE....