WRITING THE SAME OLD...

I've been told that I write the same story- dark, sad, full of despair and betrayal- over and over again. Have even been challenged 'can you write a happy-ever-after story?'


The answer is yes. My story in 100stories for Queensland is a love story. I wrote a poem for the mother of the groom to read at her son's wedding. I HAVE written stories and poetry with a sense of humour, that engage a smile or even a laugh or chuckle from the audience.


But I do admit most of my stories (and poems) have a darker side. This is partly personality (mine) and the fact I am more of an observer than a participant. I find people intriguing, their interactions and the reasons behind why they do things fascinate me. And lets face it, the story of girl meeting boy and living happily ever after is boring. Throw in a few dragons, an evil guy wanting the girl for his own and a step-mother or two (wicked of course)- and we get a bit of interest.


And I may write the same 'style' of story (a very generic point of view) but they are all different. There are different aspects, different characters, different emotions that I can manipulate.


All of these images are of the view from my front door. Perhaps I took a few steps to the right, or to the left, but each one was taken of the sky, perhaps some mountains, and usually a tree.


But you would never say all these images are the same. Even though they are taken from the same spot, of the same view, from the same point-of-view.


That's the difference. Seeing something different. Attempting to capture this difference in a way that makes the reader go 'Ohhhh'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....