Oops I did it again....

By day I work part time in a public library (Youth Services where I run a weekly Storytime), I write by night.
Well that was the original idea....By day earning a dollar, being surrounded by people (see material for my work), allowing my day/s off to be used for my writing.
However did I mention I'm very good at procrastination.

I would seemingly rather mop floors, vacuum, dust, put a load of washing on and even clean the oven - then face the cold blank space of my computer screen. And today I scoured my en-suite- I think this is due to a friend's influence who is spring cleaning her house ready for a sale. I'm not selling my house but I appear to be infected by the spring cleaning bug :(

However I do write. The guilt of not writing builds, as well as the urge to create. And with the support of family, friends and my writing group (Lazy River Writers) I do manage to put words down, to try and pin down those whirling thoughts, to make sense of what I'm thinking.

And sometimes something great happens that makes you go YEAH. Recently I received the news that my short story 'Waiting for the Change' won first place in the Yarram Community Learning Centre Annual Literary Competition 2010. This is not the first time I've won this competition, hence the title of this blog, but it was great to know that my story had found a home (after at least two rejections).

It's this kind of validation that makes it all worth while. The cleaning, the washing, the writing.

Vicki

Comments

  1. Congrats on the comp Vicki...
    As far as being 'good' at procrastination, I think I could top you :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the win, but don't go blaming me for your floor scrubbing!
    nice to see you in blogland ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know about that Lisa, perhaps we could have procrastination stand off? See who could procrastinate the most:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tiggy
    and yes I do blame you for the scrubbing...got to blame someone and it's not genetic...trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a pity life sometimes takes that 'I can do anything' away. And it takes a kid to remind us.

    Nola

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PLANNING AHEAD...

UNTITLED....

FRESH START....